Life's Greatest Treasure

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

She is her mothers daughter.

This is Allyson.

This is Allyson with my melted cutting board.

Here's a closer view of the melted cutting board.

So those of you who knew me as a child can start laughing now. Other wise pull up a chair and let me tell you a story of a little girl who was not a pyro but had a certain knack for burning things.
Wait, first, let me tell you about the pictures.
While giving Allyson a cooking lesson yesterday (this means let my big girl make dinner in the name of teaching her while I have to feed the screaming baby) I went over to the stove where I had instructed her on how to make white sauce and smelled something a little odd. The chicken was boiling and the white sauce was bubbling away happily just about done and still the smell.
Aha!
Why was the cutting board laying flat on the stove, & pushed as far as possible to the back of said stove, not removed before cooking? I don't know. It must be genetic. I groan and move pots aside and lift up the cutting board to survey the damage, praying it was far enough back but knowing this can't be true, to reveal a puddle of melted plastic on my lovely flat top stove and dripping as if it were sugar candy from the cutting board.

Poor Allyson, After several comments like I'm never gonna learn to cook, I'm never gonna get this right! (Quite the perfectionist, one mistake and it's all over :) ) I decided to let the cat out of the bag.

I've also made similar mistakes.


Yes, I told her about my experience of lighting on fire a 25# bag of flower simply by setting it on the stove (I didn't know it was hot!) and then going out to play. I don't know why I did this it just happened and as for the other experiences of my previously, unintentionally, fire prone self. I have burned everything from my fingers on the oven rack to a hole in my mattress the size of a grapefruit with my bed lamp.

So apparently this is genetic. I'm sorry Al, but it looks like you are certainly your mothers daughter.

3 comments:

banananutmeg said...

better she learns now than when she's in college. My roommate microwaved a spoon, more than once.

Tom/Tabitha said...

Hugs to you and your family... for everything.

(I've melted a pitcher... that was after we were married!)

Jessica Peterson said...

very cute! hope all's well with you and the fam. =)