Life's Greatest Treasure

Friday, November 7, 2008

Mothers who know by Julie B. Beck

My friend Jolynn sent this out on facebook and it made me think alot :) and cry. Ok, so I know I'm all pregnant and emotional but yes this made me cry this morning... Perspective is a horrible thing to have some times... It makes my vision blurry... or maybe it clears it, but the tears make it very confusing to decide which one it is.
I know in this talk there is a lot of we must do this, and do this, and this. And part way through the tears gave way to being overwhelmed... The tears returned shortly after... We need to remember that there have also been many talks that speak about not being overwhelmed and not comparing ourselves to the talents & abilities of others, and the things we think... we know others are doing, but it's also important to remember what we are shooting for. The compilation of clips is from a talk by Julie Beck titled Mothers who know, I've linked it here. And while there are inspirational talks out there for women in every walk of life this one is specifically for mothers, as the title indicates, however there are many instances where Mother could easily be exchanged simply for Women. These are things that we as women should be doing and striving for not only in our families but in our lives. To help those around us and ourselves. Think of how you could improve yourself if we nurture our own minds with the gospel and time. If we pattern our homes after the Lord's will it only be beneficial if you have children? No, it blesses everyone who enters it. It would certainly be wonderful in the lives of our children though to have such peace and order around them... I think it will even help if *ahem* we (this one is definitely for me ladies) even just strive to have that.
Thinking a little towards fly lady principles a little is better than nothing, and we can bless our families and our lives simply by making the effort. (Even housework done incorrectly still blesses our families... that's such a freeing principle.) Anyway I could go on... I suppose the end rant was partly brought on because I read a few comments that were left to the video. Oh well I suppose in the end we just need to remember a couple of things, One - what good is anything if we don't have a goal to reach for, and Two - that whoever we are there is always room for improvement.
And thus the tears and blurry vision.

5 comments:

Seth, Sarah and the kids said...

thanks Hill....i love this reminder. It is one of my favorites talks. I needed to hear this again! Have a great day. And just so you know....YOU are that kind of Mother!

Jenny said...

Boy I loved this then and I love it more now! I hope I was that kind of mother and I am grateful for the kind of mothers my daughters and daughter in laws are.I hope they all get a chance to read this and weep a little and keep trying.

Natalie said...

That was/is a great talk. Isn't Julie Beck great?? We all need to know how important our role as mother is...Thanks for the reminder! Have a lovely day!

Alicia said...

Don't be afraid to say Ya'll, it's fun, isn't it? Embrace the little bit of Texan, the California girl will always be there.
XXXOOO

Heidi Meadows said...

I'm sure it will be awhile before you read this, what with the baby and all. It was really good to see Alex and your two girls up here over Thanksgiving break. I wish I could have seen the whole family. I will try to look for an excuse to come down and visit, so I can see all of you. Happy holidays!