Life's Greatest Treasure

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Paradasiacal Glory: Putting myself out there

OK people this is what I did the night of Women's Conference :) Actually I was painting at a non member friends house and we had Conference playing on the internet which was a good thing :) I did enjoy conference and I loved Natalie's thoughts on it. It was a very powerful go mom kind of night and had some awesome spirit strengthening moments. :) I am wondering about HONEST thoughts on the painting if you want to give them this is not my rendition of Sherry's pictures don't worry I'm not quite that strange :) Honestly, from me, this is not the kind of art that I would normally consider great art but at the moment I feel more attached to this than I think I would to something that I had done in an exact image because then it can be more if they like what I painted ( I suppose it could be something great and I just hacked it, :) but let's assume I'd be decent for the sake of argument... though I haven't yet tried that... at this point the painting of Alex and I will be he first... ooh) and this painting it is very symbolic and very much from my heart, so I'm a little attached. So I really do want some opinions and if it's bad I might cry a little but I'll take it get up and try again so let me have it :)
I am feeling a need to share it's story Livvy believes that they are statues of a woman and (because he is so tall) God which I could see, and the woman with hands on here hip is saying "well why are you here?" Hillary "Why would you say that to God if he were next to you?" Livvy "I don't know, that's just what it looks like." Hillary "ummmm, OK" :) I can see that too, hehe. For my story on it though It's called Paradasiacal Glory ( Paradasiacal defined as in a paradise like state): The painting most basically is a couple very different but loving eachother very much and through the differences that they have there love and unity brings them to this paradise like state in their lives with eachother. So that for me makes it a painting of what I hope to someday be all the time. I think I've been there sometimes and I love it and want to be there all the time. The woman in the painting is rather dark and mysterious and very feminine. The lei she is wearing my mother wore in the picture that was my inspiration to me it represents and enhances all the beauty and femininity that she has. The faling flowers are the grace and beauty she leaves wherever she goes. The man towers over the woman, not in domination but in protection, if you notice he is leaning towards her and that is another part of the representation of protection as well as his wanting to just be close to her. One of the reasons I chose to paint him in white is to show the white knight effect, he is the perfect hero. (by the way Alex thought this was the woman because "that one is wearing a dress" That is just the way I blended out... maybe I'll work on that :) ) If you notice the green connecting the man and woman that is representing a peace that comes when they are together that helps to unite them making them as one. The eyes you see in the background (they are sideways) were originally the only part of the painting I started them on a night when I had to get out of the house and it was a very frustrating angry mom kind of night, but as I painted and I let go of those feelings the painting changed and I the whole painting wasn't supposed to be like that anymore (that's the point where I stopped and looked at it for a couple weeks before it became this.) So when I started the eyes I saw were angry and frustrated and where as one of them is red it is not angry to me, it is passionate and strongly emotional and the other peaceful and calm... again emphasizing the differences between the two people. Shoot, even the red and yellow blossoms in the background can show the contrast of emotions... but really I just liked the colors :)
If you want to know my inspiration picture I used for the man and woman was one of mom and dad in Hawaii. The feelings I expressed are as much my hope as what I see in you two as a couple. So, haha, let's see you write that you hate it now mom! Hahahaha I don't know how "correct" any of it is but I like it and really I guess that's all that matters.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hillary, I love that there is so much emotion behind this painting... and I love even more that you shared it's meaning. I really like it--especially the blue background. That color sticks out to me as a color of peace. And I like the green joining the man and woman together. It really does portray that unseen connection between two people in love. I'd definitely call you an artist!... in all that you do. You are very creative.

Jenny said...

I actually thought I would just comment on the picture. I was really taken by it. I love the colors and the flowers. It has a very eternal look to it. Before I read your explanation I saw it at a women and a heavenly being. I saw this world and worlds to be. I definitely thought the white being was a man. I love your thoughts and I love art as an expression of feeling. After I read your feelings it makes total sense to me and I had not noticed the green and as I went back I could see the life between the two beings. I love the swirly of the background. I really like it and it has taught me to look deeper into the meaning of things. I love how you will try anything. I love you! I am glad we could be models for you. Thank you for painting me skinny!

Jen said...

Thank you for sharing your inspirations and insight.
My thoughts just from seeing the painting were of friendship, love, paradise, motherhood and power. I can see that this is a man, and I love the way they come together. But, at first I imagined it was a mother’s spirit leading her daughter as she grows and becomes a mother (the flowers of the lei representing her offspring.) I definitely got the Aloha feeling and what’s more, it reminds me of an image you’d see in Disney’s Fantasia – like a whole storey is about to play out to exciting music! Love the colors; love the movement; love the symbolism; LOVE IT :)

Jen said...

That post last post was me. I changed my screen name in my profile while testing a blog I was building for work. oops...back to myself again :)